Monday, July 19, 2010

No, but really, I'm sorry if this insults you.

I'm sorry to insult you,
But I will not be a Mrs. Anything, but Chapin.
And we will not be Mr. and Mrs. Man and Wife You May Now Kiss The Bride 'Till Death Do You Part, Under God.
Missus Belongs-To-Owner, what was your maiden name?

I'm sorry to insult you,
But I have a legacy myself.
I'm not an adopted dog, name changed by new master.
I've got my story, not history.
I'd like to live and be remembered, not by my husband's given name
But mine, the one my mama gave me.
See, I grew to love myself first
And I learned myself by calling myself Chapin,

Melody Chapin.

So, sorry to insult you, but I can't let a man replace what I love about me
With what I love about him.

2 comments:

  1. Mel, this is an incredible poem-- one of the best you've written. It says everything that needs to be said and not a thing more. Excellent structure.

    Some day I'll send you a similar (but much more verbose) poem I wrote when I was married. But mine was directed toward my husband, whiile i'm guessing yours is NOT directed toward your husband to be but toward the assumptions of a friend or acquaintance.

    Is it OK if i reprint this poem on my blog?

    ReplyDelete