Friday, July 16, 2010

While getting my coffee today

UPDATED Tuesday 7/20: Included is a video clip of me reading the poem. The video is awful quality; it's really just for the audio that I uploaded it. Please enjoy, and feel free with your comments.
---

Didn't you know that
You're the reason I choose cream for my coffee?
With less calories and higher fat, it keeps me full for longer.
And you're why I know the caloric content in almost everything I eat.
And you're why I stand in the mirror in the morning, bemoaning my belly which, slim now, will grow throughout the day as I put food into my body.
I even educated myself on America's exploitation of corn farmers, corn, and thus the health of American people.
All because of how you make me feel.
So that I'm aware that the foods I choose will be the best ones to keep me healthy,
But more importantly--
Looking great.
I'd even go so far as to say
That you're the reason I hate delicious foods, all foods,
So I rebel and repent like a yo-yo moves.
You starved my body by poisoning my mind
Until even my soul got weak.
And, well, that made me think of Eve, but,
You know something?
God had no say in this.
It's you who created a weaker sex--
Well, except, people like you really do have a God complex.

4 comments:

  1. That was awesome!! Your gonna be famous one day! I like the way you read this, with feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read this so well. Hey, your labels are a bit of a poem, themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I'll post a little haiku I wrote on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete